Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Nigella's fresh gingerbread with lemon icing

I associate gingerbread with cold weather in general but somehow I tend to make it this time of the year, it seems, although this is only the second time I've made it LOL The first time was around March last year, simply because the black treacle I had bought months earlier was getting close to its expiry date. So far I know of only one single shop that stocks it, and that is almost 200km away so you can understand I was cherishing it :) Almost too long...

Anyway, I had to use it up and I didn't suspect what impact it would have on my life! If I was given the difficult task of choosing my favourite cake, this would be in the first three. Honestly, it is amazing. And you can imagine the odours filling your home when making this: treacle, golden syrup, fresh ginger and cinnamon... Mmmmmm! The lemon icing is really the icing on the cake: it counterbalances the chewy sweetness and velvety deep treacle aroma of the cake.

Since a friend of mine happened to visit the shop where treacle can be found and she bought me two tins(!) I had another long-awaited occasion to have a go at this recipe.


It is extremely easy to make as well. You just melt the butter, brown sugar, golden syrup, treacle, cinnamon and fresh ginger in a pan, then taking it off the heat add the eggs, one at a time. Stir in the flour and baking soda (dissolved in warm water), pour the mixture in a tray and bake for 3/4-1 hour.

The icing is made of icing sugar, lemon juice and hot water simply, though I find it always too little for the cake, you could easily double the amounts stated.

This is why I consider Nigella my baking queen: How to be a Domestic Goddess is full of these kinds of recipes which inevitably make you feel a Domestic Goddess yourself, with this little effort!

4 comments:

Lady M said...

Nigella rocks, ey? And so do you. Although I don't have to go as far as you to get some ingredients, I know the feeling of longing you describe.

The gingerbread looks beautiful. I love how the icing blends into the background for your blog. Makes it look all dreamy and floaty!

xoxo
Ilana

Kelly-Jane said...

I've made this one and thought it was really good, the icing went so well.

Yours looks lovely :)

What are your other two cakes in your top three? Do tell!

KJxx

Paola Westbeek said...

Oh YUM, Mara! Now I need some gingerbread!

paola

pistachio said...

This is a recipe that I have long wanted to make but can't get treacle here. Can understand your joy in getting some so completely.

Beautiful photograph.

pi xxx